I'm always searching for ways to add in vegetables to every day items we eat to bring the nutrition content up another notch. This is why I have fallen in love with veggie muffins because they can house so many veggies and it still taste like a legit muffin! We eat muffins all throughout the year and usually do try to go with the flow of the season for ingredients but my four year old was really wanting pumpkin muffins so we experimented together and came up with this amazing recipe!
We have been eating these muffins with a bowl of yogurt for an easy and quick breakfast! We brought a few to the store the other day so I didn't have kids on repeat saying "I'm hungry mom, can I have a snack in your purse?". Sound familiar? So I'll totally take a kid that's munching on a muffin with 2 different veggies in it vs a kid persuading me to grab the cereal or snack that has the latest "trendy" superhero or princess on the front of the box. (Seriously bringing snacks to the grocery store helps keep you focused on healthier items).
Why were these muffins different than the previous muffins I've made? This recipe called for 5 eggs and used a blender! Talk about high protein and whipping up together a fast fresh batch of warm muffins! The blender is great also because it pulverizes the veggies. Sometimes the veggies in the muffins can be off putting (like when I tried using the leftover pulp from juicing.. too stringy). When you blend it up it makes the zucchini and apple smooth.
Start by preheating your oven to 350*F and grab your blender. Start by either grating the zucchini or chopping it up into small pieces to get it ready for the blender. Chop up the apple and grate the ginger as well. This recipe is great too because from here on out, all you have to do is dump EVERYTHING into the blender (except the flour) and you just push blend! Seriously how easy is that!?!
CLEAN UP TIP: Since it's made in a blender, simply add soap and water whenever you are ready to clean it up. Push high and blend up that water. Rinse and tada! Fast clean up!
Total Time: 35 mins Baking time: 20 mins Makes 18
- 5 eggs
- 1 small-medium green apple
- 1 grated zucchini
- 1/2 can pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 Cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup crushed walnuts
- optional: raisins or chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350*F
2. Add 1 grated zucchini to blender, chop up apple to add to blender and then add all ingredients except flour, walnuts and optional ingredients.
3. Blend up until all mixed and incorporated. Lumps are ok!
4. Add flour to large bowl and fold in contents of blender to bowl. Once thoroughly mixed you get to add your nuts and either raisins or chocolate chips (1/4 cup of either).
5. Add to lined muffin tins. I did spray them just to be extra safe. Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
6. Enjoy fresh out of the oven. Leave on counter no more than 1 day and keep remainder in Ziploc bag in fridge up to 1 week. Also can freeze for up to 2 weeks to help with your meal prep but honestly they'll only make it a day or two before they're all eaten up! :)
Thanks y'all and SHARE this recipe with your friends! We can all use some veggies in the morning!