Are your shakes stuck in a rut??
Shakes and smoothies are such an easy way to get in some good nutrition however I see so many of y'all missing key components and am here to shed the light on getting the most out of your shakes.
Let's go over some common mistakes first and then I'll share with you how to make it balanced!
1. Only plant based items you're adding is fruit.
2. Missing a source of protein
3. Focused only on macronutrients
4. Forgetting healthy fats
5. Thinking it's only for when you're trying to lose weight or after a workout.
Do any of these sound like something you're doing?
If yes, then read on! If not, skip down to the recipe :).
RIGHT WAY TO MAKE A SHAKE
1. Common Mistake: Only plant based items you're adding is fruit.
Dietitian Tip: Blending vegetables into your shake is an easy way to meet your veggie intake quota for the day. Veggies provide another added antioxidant, polyphenols, and fiber! When you're overcoming a health issue, crowding out the bad with the good is an easy way to start feeling and seeing a difference in your health!
2. Common Mistake: Missing a source of protein
Dietitian Tip: Adding a source of protein will help prevent a spike in blood sugars. When you're blending just fruit, your body will digest these carbohydrates fast. This will cause 2 problems - First, you're going to have a spike in your blood sugars which can cause inflammation and prevent you from reaching your goals. Second, without a source of protein or fat added in, you may experience some GI (gastrointestinal) discomfort.
3. Common Mistake: Focused on Macronutrients
Dietitian Tip: The magic power of nutrition is in the micronutrients. Micronutrients are your vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, anti-inflammatory properties, and polyphenols. In this recipe I add in turmeric for the anti-inflammatory properties, fish oil and flaxseed for the anti-inflammatory properties too! If you have inflammation inside the body, it will take you twice as long to heal. Reducing inflammation daily in the body is crucial to helping your body be at it's best!
4. Common Mistake: Forgetting Healthy Fats
Dietitian Tip: Healthy fats are crucial for reducing inflammation inside the body and also to give your cells the outer layer of healthy fat to assist with hormone stabilization. Like mentioned in Dietitian Tip #3, it's also a great way to help stabilize blood sugars as well.
5. Common Mistake: Thinking it's only for weight loss or after you workout.
Dietitian Tip: If you're struggling with eating veggies at all your meals, then this is an easy way to get your veggie quota in for the day. One thing I like to do is think "How can I support my anxiety, my thyroid, my migraines etc (you'll do the same with your health struggles)" and when I look at food this way, it's easy to keep adding tons of nutrition to help crowd out the bad, so you feel good!
*Note this is NOT a sponsored post, I'm simply sharing what I use!
1.5 Cups frozen berries
3 Tbsp ground flaxseed
1 Tbsp Turmeric
1 Tbsp Fish Oil
2 Cups Spinach
3 Scoops of Vital Proteins (or a serving and a half of your favorite protein powder)
10 oz Almond Milk
1 capsule of Garden of Life Probiotics (open up and dump into blender)
1. Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth
What's your favorite ways to make a shake? Share them in the comments below!
WHAT'S GOING ON AT NUTRITION'S MY LIFE?
1. Become a Health Warrior VIP : Support, guidance, and transformations! For the month of July, Invite a friend and let me know! If your friend joins with you, YOU receive your first month FREE!
2. Weekly Podcast Episodes released every Monday
3. Want to work with Nicole one on one? Book your Free 20 minute discovery call here.